I’m attempting to replicate the effect of dense foliage using two parts, a leaf and a branch.
And the final result:
A wrote a genetic algorithm that generates a tree like structure. This structure can be turned into a mesh using convolution surfaces.
Given a list of control points, the GA tries to optimize 3 things:
The results are very interesting:
I also tried printing the result. It took a lot of support material, but I think the result is pretty good (I had not yet cleaned all of the support material when I took the photo).
I finally implemented convolution surfaces, and the improvement over the field functions I was using before is huge. The bulge between line segments is completely gone.
In order to build my intuition in building models using implicit surfaces, I’ve rendered animations of a number of different models, using different variables each time.