Implicit surfaces allow for interesting models to be created from simple primitives. These are some experiments I’ve done exploring the usage of implicit surfaces for modeling.
Since I purchased the Conscendo S, I’ve played around with a number of different FPV setups. At first, I took the camera/transmitter from the Eflite FPV Vapor and mounted it on the top hatch. This worked alright, but I quickly grew tired of having a range of only a few hundred feet. I upgraded to a better camera and more powerful transmitter, which worked great, except for the hacked up mount made from foam and duct tape. I found a model for a mount for my camera, and with a few changes to increase the height off the fuselage and a quick print, I had a much cleaner setup for my plane.
Also visible in the above image is the Mobius mount. Here is a video from the first flight with the new setup:
I was unhappy with the angle of the mobius mount, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:
I used a dremel to remove the old mount, and after some more printing and gluing, I have a mount with an adjustable angle.
This structure is about 10 feet tall, has 60 3D-printed connectors, and 168 wooden dowels. The connectors took somewhere between 150 and 200 hours to print on my Replicator 2 (including failed prints). Currently the dowels just press fit into the connectors, but I will probably glue them at some point. This project was inspired by my desire to use my 3D printer to build a large-scale object.